No thunder rolled now.
Morning sunlight entered Bishan House for the first time in years, touching dust, portraits, and faces that had forgotten warmth.
Mira stood motionless.
“Me?” she whispered.
Dev lowered his eyes.
“Yes,” said Arindam. “Dev returned not for Leela—but for Mira.”
Silence deepened.
Leela stared, then suddenly laughed through tears.
“I knew it.”
Mira turned sharply. “You knew?”
Leela nodded.
“You never looked at me the way you looked at her.”
Dev stepped forward at last, stripped now of charm and performance.
“When we were children,” he said softly, “Mira was the only person kind to me in this house. When I left for London, I intended to forget her.”
“And failed?” asked Niraj.
“Miserably.”
Mira’s eyes filled.
“Then why help Leela flee?”
“Because Harish planned to force her marriage and use the inheritance to pressure you. Saving her was the only way to free you both.”
Leela embraced her sister.
“All these years,” she said, “everyone hid love better than money.”
Even Arindam smiled.
He turned to Sarojini Devi.
“You confessed to Harish’s murder. The law will judge you.”
Sarojini nodded peacefully.
“I judged myself years ago.”
Before servants could move, Mira approached her slowly.
“You protected us in your broken way,” she said. “I cannot forgive all of it... but I understand some of it.”
For the first time, Sarojini wept.
Arindam addressed the household.
“Raghav’s hidden will grants the estate equally to Mira and Leela. Harish’s schemes die with him. No further claim stands.”
Gopal collapsed in gratitude. Servants murmured prayers. Fear, which had ruled the mansion longer than any owner, began to loosen its grip.
Niraj poured himself tea.
“So after poison, fraud, false hauntings, and romance... we end in property law.”
“Reality often does,” said Arindam.
Days later, Bishan House reopened its shuttered windows.
Leela chose to study in Darjeeling rather than marry in haste.
Dev remained in Kolkata, no longer hiding what everyone now knew.
And Mira, after years of duty, finally allowed herself happiness.
There was no grand wedding immediately.
No orchestra.
No spectacle.
Only one quiet evening in the garden, where jasmine bloomed beside the old stone path.
Dev handed Mira a single fresh rose.
“Still collecting flowers?” she asked.
“No,” he said. “Keeping the one I almost lost.”
From the verandah, Niraj sighed dramatically.
“Detectives solve crimes,” he declared, “but love remains excessively complicated.”
Arindam, standing beside him, watched the garden with rare contentment.
“Only until spoken aloud.”
And in the house where fear once whispered through locked rooms, laughter was heard again.