Dawn entered Bishan House reluctantly.
Rain had ceased, but the mansion still seemed wet with old grief. Every member of the household gathered in the main hall as ordered. Servants stood at the rear. Mira and Leela Bishan sat together. Dev remained near them. Sarojini Devi stood by the staircase in widow’s white, composed as carved marble.
Harish’s body had been removed.
Arindam arrived precisely at eight.
Niraj followed carrying a tray of tea, which he set down solemnly.
“In case truth becomes thirsty.”
No one smiled.
Arindam placed three objects on the center table:
- The black chapel ledger
- The torn paper reading MIR
- A small silver paper-knife taken from Harish’s desk
He began quietly.
“Two years ago, Raghav Bishan died not naturally, but by poison mixed in milk. The ledger proves payment by H.B.—Harish Bishan—to Gopal for obtaining the poison.”
Gopal fell to his knees weeping again.
“I only bought it! I never knew—”
“You knew enough,” said Arindam.
He turned to the family.
“Harish wanted control of the estate. He arranged his brother’s death.”
Mira closed her eyes. Leela gripped her hand.
“But Harish did not act alone,” Arindam continued. “He required silence from the household. The ledger shows monthly payments to S.D.—Sarojini Devi.”
Dev stepped forward angrily.
“So she knew!”
Sarojini answered herself.
“Yes. I knew.”
Murmurs broke across the hall.
“I watched Raghav die,” she said steadily. “I did not save him.”
“Because you hated him,” Arindam said.
“Yes.”
No denial. No tears.
“He humiliated, controlled, and frightened this house for years. When fate came for him, I let it enter.”
Leela whispered, “Aunt...”
Sarojini looked at her gently.
“I protected you where I could. But I was not innocent.”
Arindam nodded.
“You were guilty of silence, not murder.”
Then he lifted the torn paper scrap.
“Now to Harish’s death.”
All eyes fixed on Mira.
Arindam smiled faintly.
“This note does not accuse Mira.”
Shock rippled through the room.
“It was meant to.”
He held up the silver paper-knife.
“The scrap was torn from a larger page using this blade after Harish died. The letters MIR were cut deliberately to suggest Mira’s name.”
“Then whose word was it?” asked Niraj.
Arindam unfolded another sheet recovered from Harish’s fireplace grate—partly burnt, pieced together overnight.
The missing letters completed the word:
MIRROR
Gasps filled the hall.
Arindam turned to the mantelpiece mirror opposite Harish’s chair.
“Harish, dying, wrote one word with shaking hand: mirror. He meant the clue was there.”
Arindam removed the mirror from its hook.
Behind it, taped to the frame, was a tiny paper packet.
Empty.
Poison packet.
He faced them all.
“The murderer stood near Harish, offered sympathy, then slipped poison into his cardamom tea while his attention was on his reflection.”
Dev whispered, “Who?”
Arindam’s gaze moved past everyone.
To Sarojini Devi.
“You killed Harish.”
No one breathed.
Sarojini did not deny it.
“Yes,” she said at last. “I did.”
Leela burst into tears. Mira stared in horror.
Sarojini’s voice remained calm.
“He poisoned one brother and ruled through fear. I ended the other.”
“Revenge?” asked Arindam.
“No,” she said. “Completion.”
Niraj muttered, “That is a terrifying choice of noun.”
Arindam’s eyes softened only slightly.
“You avenged years of cruelty. But you also chose murder.”
Sarojini bowed her head for the first time.
Then Leela stood.
“And the hidden love?” she asked.
Arindam looked toward Dev... then Mira.
“Not Leela and Dev.”
He turned to Mira.
“It was Mira who was loved in silence for years.”