Life rarely changes because of a single moment.
It changes because of a single decision.
A decision made in one house...
...can quietly rewrite the dreams of another.
The days after their confession were the happiest either of them had ever known.
Nothing extraordinary happened.
Yet everything felt extraordinary.
The morning messages grew longer.
The walks became slower.
The sunsets seemed warmer.
Every ordinary day became another page in the story they were writing together.
Neither imagined someone else had already begun writing the ending.
That Sunday evening, Nikhita's family gathered in the living room.
Her grandmother had come from Mysuru.
An uncle had arrived unexpectedly.
There was laughter.
Tea.
Old stories.
Family photographs.
Everything seemed normal.
Until her father folded the newspaper and looked at her.
"Nikhita..."
She looked up.
"Yes, Appa?"
"We need to talk."
Something in his voice made the room suddenly feel smaller.
Her mother smiled gently.
"You know your cousin Ananya?"
Nikhita nodded.
"Her engagement has been fixed."
"That's wonderful."
"It is."
Her father hesitated.
"They've also brought another proposal."
She didn't understand.
"For whom?"
Silence answered first.
Then her mother quietly said,
"For you."
The words settled into the room like heavy rain.
Nikhita stared at them.
"I... I'm still studying."
"The wedding won't be now."
Her father spoke calmly.
"They only want to meet."
"There's no pressure."
But every daughter knows...
Some meetings carry the weight of expectations.
That night, sleep never came.
She stood by her window watching the moon.
Her phone rested in her hand.
Nikhil had sent a message.
"Did you have dinner?"
She smiled faintly.
Then replied.
"Yes."
She wanted to tell him everything.
She wanted to write,
"I'm scared."
Instead she typed,
"Can we meet tomorrow?"
His reply came instantly.
"Always."
The next evening, they met beneath the banyan tree.
Nikhil noticed her silence immediately.
"You've hardly spoken."
She looked at the fields below.
"My parents received a marriage proposal."
The breeze stopped feeling gentle.
Nikhil remained still.
He had imagined many fears.
This had never been one of them.
He smiled softly.
"They're just asking you to meet someone."
She nodded.
"I know."
"So why do you look like you're saying goodbye?"
Her eyes filled with tears.
"Because I know my family."
She sat beneath the tree.
"I've never disobeyed them."
"I've never even raised my voice."
"My father trusts me."
"My mother believes I'll always choose the family first."
She looked at him.
"What happens when those two things ask me to choose between them... and you?"
Nikhil had no answer.
After a long silence, he took her hand.
"Then we don't run."
She looked at him.
"We don't lie."
"We don't hide."
"When the time comes..."
"I'll come to your house."
"I'll speak to your parents."
"I'll tell them I love their daughter."
She smiled through her tears.
"You make difficult things sound simple."
"They're not simple."
He laughed softly.
"I'm just pretending to be brave."
For the first time that evening, she smiled.
"I'll wait."
"I know."
"No matter how long it takes."
"I know."
She rested her head lightly against his shoulder.
The setting sun painted the sky in soft shades of orange.
It looked exactly like the evening they had first sat there together.
Nikhil whispered,
"We'll be alright."
She wanted to believe him.
More than anything.
A week later, the family invited the prospective groom's parents for a casual visit.
"It doesn't mean anything," her mother assured her.
"They just want to meet you."
Nikhita wore a simple blue saree.
Not because she wanted to.
Because her grandmother insisted.
As she stood before the mirror, she saw her reflection.
But she couldn't recognize the girl looking back.
She looked...
...like someone wearing another person's future.
At the same time, across the city, Nikhil sat at the tea stall.
He looked at the empty chair opposite him.
The tea seller placed two glasses on the table out of habit.
Then quietly removed one.
"Your friend didn't come today?"
Nikhil smiled.
"She's busy."
The old man nodded.
"Tell her the tea tastes better when she's here."
"I will."
But something inside him whispered a question he wasn't ready to hear.
What if one day... she never comes back?
That night, Nikhil opened his notebook.
He didn't write a letter.
Instead, he unfolded the paper titled:
Our Forever List
He traced each line with his finger.
"Watch one hundred sunsets together."
"Build a little house with a library."
"Celebrate every birthday together."
He smiled.
Then quietly added one more line at the bottom.
"Fight for us... before giving up."
He closed the notebook.
Outside, the wind carried away another dry leaf from the old banyan tree.
Somewhere else in the city, Nikhita sat alone in her room, looking at the engagement proposal photograph lying unopened on her table.
She turned it face down.
Not today.
Today...
She still belonged to yesterday.