Distance is not always measured in kilometers.
Sometimes...
It is measured by the number of words left unsaid.
The doctor's reports remained hidden inside Nikhil's cupboard.
Every morning he looked at them.
Every morning he closed the drawer without touching them.
He had read the doctor's words so many times that he no longer needed the paper.
"Your future is uncertain."
Those four words had quietly become the wall between him and Nikhita.
She still waited for him at the tea stall.
But now...
He arrived late.
Sometimes not at all.
When she called, he replied hours later.
When she asked to meet, he said he had assignments.
When she asked if something was wrong...
He smiled.
"Nothing has changed."
Everything had.
One evening she found him alone beneath the banyan tree.
The same tree where they had confessed their love.
The same tree where they had promised there would be no more secrets.
"You've been avoiding me."
"I'm busy."
"Nikhil..."
She sat beside him.
"You've never been too busy for me."
He looked at the setting sun instead of her.
"People change."
The sentence hurt more than he intended.
She stared at him.
"So that's it?"
He didn't answer.
Silence became his shield.
That night, Nikhil opened his notebook.
Letter Nine
Dear Nikhita,
Every step I take away from you feels like tearing away a part of myself.
If I stay...
I'll ask you to build a future with a man who cannot promise you tomorrow.
If I leave...
You'll hate me for a while.
But one day... you'll smile again.
I can live with your anger.
I cannot live with becoming your sorrow.
— Nikhil
He folded the page.
Like all the others...
It remained unsent.
The marriage proposal at Nikhita's house slowly became a regular conversation.
Her father never forced her.
He simply waited.
"We're not asking you to answer today," he said gently.
"But they deserve an answer."
Nikhita nodded.
She still believed Nikhil would come.
He had promised.
Yet with every passing day...
His silence grew louder.
One rainy evening she finally confronted him.
"Tell me the truth."
"I am."
"No."
She shook her head.
"The truth is in your eyes."
"The words just refuse to follow."
He closed his notebook.
"What if this..."
"...isn't meant to be?"
She stared at him.
"What are you saying?"
"I'm saying..."
"...maybe life wants something different."
"For whom?"
"For both of us."
Tears filled her eyes.
"Or just for you?"
He couldn't answer.
Because the answer was...
For you.
Days later, Nikhita sat with her parents.
For the first time...
She did not refuse to meet the family.
Not because she had stopped loving Nikhil.
But because the man who once promised to stand beside her...
...had quietly begun walking away.
That same evening, Nikhil climbed the hill alone.
The banyan tree looked unchanged.
Only the empty place beside him felt different.
He whispered into the wind,
"I'm sorry."
"I hope one day you understand..."
"...that leaving you was the only way I knew how to love you."
The wind carried his words away.
But not far enough for her to hear.
At home, Nikhita opened the little blue notebook he had once gifted her.
On a blank page she wrote,
"The hardest goodbye is not hearing someone say 'I'm leaving.'
It is watching them slowly become a stranger."
She closed the notebook.
A tear fell onto its cover.
Neither of them knew it then...
But that tear marked the beginning of the end.