There is always one meeting...
...that both people know will be the last.
No one says it aloud.
Because saying it would make it real.
Three days remained before Nikhita's engagement.
The city was preparing for summer.
The evenings grew longer.
The gulmohar trees burned bright with red blossoms.
Life moved forward with quiet determination.
Only Nikhil wished it would stop.
Just for one more sunset.
His phone vibrated.
A message.
Nikhita:
"Can we meet... one last time?"
He stared at the words for several minutes.
Then replied.
"The banyan tree?"
Her answer came instantly.
"Always."
That evening, the old hill welcomed them once again.
The tree looked exactly as it had on the day they first became friends.
Exactly as it had on the day they confessed their love.
Nature had remained faithful.
Only life had changed.
Nikhita arrived carrying the little blue notebook.
Nikhil held the worn leather notebook that had carried his heart for so long.
Neither knew how to begin.
Finally, she smiled faintly.
"You still come here."
"I don't think I'll ever stop."
She looked toward the horizon.
"I won't either."
"Even after..."
She couldn't finish.
Neither of them needed the words.
They sat in silence, watching the sun slowly descend.
After several minutes, Nikhita spoke.
"Do you remember the first thing you ever said to me?"
He laughed softly.
"I apologized to a notebook."
"You apologized to a page."
"It was an important page."
"It changed both our lives."
She opened the blue notebook.
"I read your letters."
He looked down.
"I wasn't supposed to."
"I know."
"They were beautiful."
"They were painful."
"They were honest."
She paused.
"I cried after every letter."
He smiled sadly.
"I hoped you never would."
She carefully removed a dried banyan leaf from between the pages.
"You left this inside."
"I didn't."
"It must have fallen there."
"Maybe."
She smiled.
"Then I'll believe the tree wanted to remember us."
The evening breeze grew stronger.
Neither noticed.
Their attention remained fixed on each other.
"I was angry with you."
Nikhita admitted.
"I know."
"I thought you stopped loving me."
"I never did."
"I know that now."
She reached into her bag.
"I brought something."
She handed him a small wooden box.
Inside lay the fountain pen she had once gifted him.
"I can't keep it anymore."
He gently pushed the box back toward her.
"No."
"It belongs with you."
"It belongs with your notebook."
"So does every word you ever wrote."
For the first time that evening...
Nikhil looked directly into her eyes.
"There is something I never told you."
She waited.
His heart raced.
This was the moment.
The truth stood at the edge of his lips.
The hospital.
The diagnosis.
Everything.
He opened his mouth.
Then he saw the engagement ring on her finger.
It caught the last golden light of the setting sun.
He stopped.
Some truths arrive too late.
"It's nothing."
She smiled sadly.
"You still do that."
"What?"
"Hide behind silence."
A long pause followed.
Then she whispered,
"Will you answer one question?"
"Anything."
"When you look back at us..."
"...what will you remember the most?"
He didn't think.
"The ordinary days."
"The tea."
"The library."
"The rain."
"The way you smiled when you found a new book."
He laughed quietly.
"I thought love would be remembered by big moments."
"It isn't."
"It's remembered by small ones."
She nodded.
"My favorite memory..."
"...is the day we forgot time."
He smiled.
"So is mine."
The sun finally touched the horizon.
They watched it disappear together.
One last sunset.
Neither cried.
Some grief is too deep for tears.
As darkness settled over the hill, Nikhil stood.
"I have one last gift."
He took out a folded sheet of paper.
It was old.
Slightly yellow with age.
She unfolded it carefully.
At the top, written in blue ink, were the words:
Our Forever List
Below it were the dreams they had once written together.
Watch one hundred sunsets.
Visit every old bookstore.
Build a house with a library.
Grow jasmine.
Grow old together.
At the bottom...
Nikhil had added one final line.
In fresh ink.
"If we cannot share the same home...
I hope life gives you a home where you never have to hide your smile."
Tears finally escaped her eyes.
She looked up at him.
"You still think about my happiness..."
"...more than your own."
He smiled.
"I always will."
She folded the paper with trembling hands.
"I don't know if I'll ever stop loving you."
He closed his eyes for a moment.
Then answered with quiet certainty.
"You don't have to."
"You only have to keep living."
A car horn echoed from the road below.
Her father had come to pick her up.
She looked toward the sound.
Then back at Nikhil.
"This is goodbye, isn't it?"
He wanted to say no.
Instead...
He nodded.
"Yes."
Without thinking, she stepped forward and embraced him.
Neither held on tightly.
Neither wanted to make it harder.
The embrace lasted only a few seconds.
Yet it contained everything they would never again have the chance to say.
When they finally stepped apart, Nikhita smiled through her tears.
"Thank you..."
"...for being my first home."
Nikhil felt his heart break quietly.
"And thank you..."
"...for teaching mine what home felt like."
She walked down the hill without looking back.
Not because she didn't want to.
Because she knew...
If she turned around once...
She might never find the strength to leave.
Nikhil remained beneath the banyan tree until the stars filled the sky.
The wind rustled through its branches.
A single dry leaf drifted down onto the empty place where she had been sitting.
He picked it up carefully.
Folded it inside his notebook.
And whispered into the darkness,
"Some loves aren't meant to be forgotten."
"They're meant to be carried."
Forever.