Time is an unusual thing.
When we are lonely, it refuses to move.
When we are happy, it slips away without even saying goodbye.
Neither Nikhil nor Nikhita knew that this Saturday would become one of those days they would remember for the rest of their lives—not because anything extraordinary happened, but because ordinary moments became unforgettable.
The college had announced an unexpected holiday after a water pipeline burst, flooding several classrooms.
Students cheered.
Some made plans for movies.
Others hurried home.
Nikhita stood beneath the notice board, wondering whether to take the next bus.
Just then, she heard a familiar voice behind her.
"So... does your day have any plans?"
She turned.
Nikhil stood there with his backpack slung over one shoulder and that familiar notebook tucked under his arm.
"Not really," she admitted.
"You?"
"I was thinking of wasting the day."
She smiled.
"That sounds ambitious."
"It takes talent."
She laughed.
"Then teach me."
They began walking with no destination in mind.
The streets around the campus were quieter than usual.
Small shops had just begun opening.
A florist arranged fresh marigolds outside his store.
An elderly man carefully stacked newspapers.
A little girl chased bubbles drifting from a toy vendor.
Nikhil stopped to watch her.
"Children never chase bubbles because they expect to catch them," he said.
"They chase them because they're beautiful while they last."
Nikhita looked at him.
"You notice everything."
"No."
He smiled gently.
"I just walk slowly."
Their feet eventually carried them to an old second-hand bookstore hidden between two narrow lanes.
Its wooden sign creaked softly in the breeze.
Dust floated through thin rays of sunlight.
The air smelled of old paper and forgotten stories.
"This place is beautiful," Nikhita whispered.
The owner, an elderly gentleman with silver hair and thick glasses, looked up from his newspaper.
"You must be the girl who loves novels."
She looked surprised.
"You remember me?"
"I remember everyone who buys books instead of asking for discounts."
Nikhil laughed.
"I think you've found your favorite shop."
"I think I have."
They spent nearly an hour wandering through the shelves.
Sometimes they spoke.
Mostly they didn't.
Nikhita picked up classic novels while Nikhil searched for sketchbooks and architecture books.
Every few minutes one of them would quietly hold up a book.
"You've read this?"
"No."
"You should."
"I will."
Simple conversations.
Yet somehow they never felt small.
Before leaving, Nikhil bought a tiny notebook.
Its cover was deep blue with tiny silver stars scattered across it.
He handed it to Nikhita.
She looked confused.
"I can't take this."
"Why not?"
"It's a gift."
"So?"
"We've only known each other for a few weeks."
He smiled.
"I know."
She looked down at the notebook.
"I don't have anything for you."
"You do."
"What?"
"You keep listening."
Her eyes softened.
No one had ever thanked her for something so simple.
By afternoon, hunger led them to a small roadside café.
The owner served hot dosas on steel plates with coconut chutney made fresh every morning.
Neither noticed how long they stayed.
They talked about childhood dreams.
Favorite teachers.
Embarrassing school memories.
Books that made them cry.
Movies they secretly loved.
Families.
Fears.
Dreams they had never shared with anyone else.
For the first time in years, both felt understood without having to explain themselves.
As evening approached, Nikhil suggested one last stop.
"The hill?"
Nikhita guessed.
He smiled.
"You're learning."
The climb felt easier this time.
Perhaps because neither walked alone.
The old banyan tree welcomed them with its familiar shade.
The sky slowly transformed into shades of amber and rose.
Nikhita sat quietly beside him.
"You know," she said after a long silence, "I used to think sunsets were sad."
"And now?"
"They're not endings."
She looked toward the horizon.
"They're reminders that even beautiful things return tomorrow."
Nikhil didn't answer immediately.
Instead, he opened his notebook.
"Can I ask you something?"
She nodded.
"If one day... years from now... you remember today, what do you think you'll remember first?"
She thought for a long moment.
"The bookstore."
"The tea?"
She smiled.
"No."
"The way I never once looked at the time."
He looked at his watch.
It had stopped nearly three hours earlier.
The battery had died.
Neither of them had noticed.
Nikhil laughed quietly.
"I guess my watch forgot time too."
"No," Nikhita said, smiling as the evening breeze played with her hair.
"We did."
The sun disappeared behind the distant hills, painting the sky in colors that seemed too beautiful to belong to a single evening.
Neither wished to leave.
Some days are remembered because they change our lives.
Others are remembered because, for a few perfect hours, life feels exactly as it should.
As they walked back toward the road, their shadows stretched long across the path, side by side.
Neither reached for the other's hand.
Neither needed to.
Some bonds begin long before fingers ever intertwine.
And somewhere, hidden inside Nikhil's notebook, he wrote just one line before closing it for the night.
"Today, I forgot the time... because I finally found someone who made every moment worth keeping."
Far away, in her room, Nikhita placed the little blue notebook beside her favorite novels.
She opened the first page.
After staring at it for several minutes, she wrote only one sentence.
"Some people enter your life quietly... and somehow make silence feel like home."
Neither of them knew it.
But love had already arrived.
It simply hadn't introduced itself yet.