Skip to main content

Some Loves Never Reach Home - The Hospital Corridor - part 8


Some places change your life forever.

Not because they are beautiful.

Not because they are memorable.

But because you enter them as one person...

...and leave as someone else.

For Nikhil, that place was a hospital corridor.


The hospital smelled of antiseptic and silence.

White walls.

White floors.

White coats.

Everything looked painfully clean.

Everything except the fear that quietly settled inside him.

He sat alone outside the cardiology department, holding a brown envelope containing his medical reports.

The ceiling fan rotated slowly above him.

Across the corridor, a little boy laughed while chasing his father's shadow.

An elderly couple shared a packet of biscuits without speaking.

Life continued as though nothing extraordinary was about to happen.

Nikhil wished he could be part of that ordinary world.


"Nikhil Raj?"

He looked up.

The nurse smiled gently.

"The doctor will see you now."

He stood.

For the first time in years...

His legs felt heavy.


Dr. Srinivas was a kind man in his late fifties.

His desk was filled with medical books, a family photograph, and a tiny bonsai tree.

He studied the reports quietly.

Then looked at Nikhil.

"Tell me honestly."

"Have you been feeling tired for a long time?"

Nikhil nodded.

"Nearly a month."

"Chest pain?"

"Sometimes."

"Dizziness?"

"Yes."

The doctor folded his hands.

"I'd like to run a few more tests."

Nikhil smiled nervously.

"So... nothing serious?"

The doctor didn't answer immediately.

Instead, he reached for another file.

"There are a few abnormalities."

"I don't want to guess before the scans."

"But I don't want you to ignore this either."


The next two days passed in a blur.

Blood tests.

ECG.

Echocardiogram.

MRI.

Endless waiting.

Endless questions.

Nikhil answered them all politely.

When the nurses smiled, he smiled back.

When they said, "Don't worry," he thanked them.

Inside...

He had already begun worrying.


On Friday afternoon, he returned for the final consultation.

The corridor felt even quieter.

Rain tapped gently against the hospital windows.

He watched droplets slide slowly down the glass.

For some reason...

They reminded him of Nikhita.

She would have stood there trying to count them.

He smiled without realizing it.


"Nikhil."

The doctor's voice interrupted his thoughts.

He entered the cabin once again.

This time...

The doctor wasn't smiling.

He slowly removed his glasses.

"I'm afraid the scans have confirmed what we suspected."

Nikhil's fingers tightened around the edge of the chair.

"You have a rare congenital heart condition."

He stared.

Not because he understood.

Because he didn't.

"I was born with it?"

"Yes."

"It remained unnoticed for years."

"And now..."

The doctor paused.

"...it's progressing."

Silence.

Heavy.

Unmoving.

Nikhil looked down at his hands.

"They've always been steady."

Why were they shaking now?


"Can it be treated?"

The doctor nodded.

"There are medications."

"There are procedures."

"And possibly surgery."

Nikhil looked up hopefully.

"So I'll be okay?"

The doctor sighed softly.

"We'll do everything we can."

"But I must be honest."

"This condition is unpredictable."

"Some patients live many years."

"Some deteriorate much faster."

"I don't want to give you false hope."

Every word landed like a stone.

Nikhil had expected illness.

He hadn't expected uncertainty.


"Does my family know?"

"No."

"I wanted to speak with you first."

The doctor leaned forward.

"You shouldn't go through this alone."

"Bring your parents."

"And..."

He hesitated.

"...anyone important to you."

Nikhita's face appeared in his mind instantly.

Her smile.

Her laughter.

The way she looked at sunsets.

The blue notebook he had gifted her.

The sparkler on Deepavali night.

The unfinished letters inside his own notebook.

"No."

The word escaped before he could think.

The doctor looked surprised.

"No?"

"I don't want anyone to know."

"Nikhil..."

"They'll worry."

"They deserve the truth."

"They deserve happiness."

His voice trembled.

"If I tell them now..."

"...every smile they give me will carry fear."

"I can't do that to them."


The doctor remained silent.

Years of medicine had taught him something.

Some illnesses affected the body.

Others broke the heart long before they touched the patient.

"You'll eventually have to tell them."

Nikhil nodded slowly.

"I know."

"But..."

"...not today."


The rain had stopped by the time he stepped outside.

The world looked exactly the same.

Traffic moved.

Children laughed.

Street vendors sold roasted peanuts.

Somewhere nearby, a wedding procession filled the air with music.

It amazed him.

How could the world continue so normally...

...when his had just changed forever?


His phone vibrated.

Nikhita Calling...

He stared at the screen.

For several seconds.

Then answered.

"Hello?"

"Where are you?"

"Library."

The lie came too easily.

"I've been waiting near the tea stall."

"I'm sorry."

"I got caught up."

"Should I wait?"

He closed his eyes.

He could almost see her standing there with two glasses of tea.

Smiling.

Looking for him.

"No."

"I'll meet you tomorrow."

"You sound tired."

"I didn't sleep well."

"You should rest."

"I will."

She smiled on the other end.

"Tomorrow then."

"Tomorrow."

Neither said goodbye.

Neither knew how much that single word would begin to mean.

Tomorrow.

A promise.

A hope.

A prayer.


That evening, Nikhil climbed the hill alone.

The banyan tree stood waiting.

Just as it always had.

He opened his notebook.

For several minutes...

He couldn't write.

Then, with trembling hands, he began another letter.


Letter Six

Dear Nikhita,

Today I learned something about life.

It doesn't always knock before entering.

Sometimes it quietly changes everything while you're making plans for tomorrow.

The doctor told me my heart is weaker than I believed.

It's strange.

The one thing that loved you the most...

...is the one thing that's beginning to fail me.

I wanted to tell you today.

I almost did.

But then I imagined the way your eyes would fill with tears.

I realized I would rather carry this pain alone...

...than become the reason for yours.

So if I smile tomorrow...

Please don't ask whether I'm alright.

Just smile back.

That will be enough.

— Nikhil


A single tear fell onto the page.

The ink blurred slightly beneath it.

Nikhil looked up at the evening sky.

For the first time in years...

He didn't notice the sunset.

He simply whispered,

"I thought we'd have more time."

The wind answered only with silence.

Far away, unaware of everything, Nikhita sat by her bedroom window.

She opened the little blue notebook Nikhil had gifted her.

Without knowing why, she wrote one sentence.

"Sometimes my heart becomes restless... even when I have no reason to worry."

She closed the notebook.

Outside, the first winter breeze passed through the night.

It carried no answers.

Only the quiet beginning of a goodbye that neither of them was ready to hear.

Popular posts from this blog

The Pattern of Silence - The Mind Behind the Pattern - Part 7

 By now, the case had stopped being a mystery of events . It had become a study of a mind . Aarav didn’t look at the victims that morning. He looked at absence . “No rage,” he said. Arvind leaned forward. “We’ve already established that.” “No,” Aarav replied calmly. “You’ve observed it. I’m explaining it.” Jadhav stayed silent. He had learned—when Aarav spoke like this, something important followed. Aarav began walking slowly. “Most killers begin with emotion—anger, revenge, fear, desperation.” He paused. “This one begins with detachment .” Arvind crossed his arms. “A psychopath.” Aarav shook his head slightly. “Too simple.” Silence. “A psychopath seeks thrill, dominance, sometimes recognition,” Aarav continued. “This person…” He glanced at the board. “…is patient. Consistent. Controlled.” Jadhav spoke hesitantly. “Then what is he?” Aarav turned. “A system.” The word felt strange. Unsettling. “He behaves like a system,” Aarav clarified. “Observe → Select → Execute → Erase.” Arvin...

Behind the Lit Windows - The Windows We Leave Behind - Part 20 ( FInal )

 The building stood the same. Tall. Quiet. Familiar. But not everything inside it stayed. A few days later— a small moving truck waited outside. On the fourth floor, Sana stood in the middle of her now-empty apartment. No curtains. No plant by the window. No traces of the nights she had spent there… except in memory. She walked slowly to the window one last time. The glass felt colder than usual. Across the building— the seventh-floor balcony was empty. She didn’t wait. Didn’t expect. Because some goodbyes don’t need to be seen. They just need to be understood. She smiled softly to herself. Not with sadness. But with acceptance. Life had given her something unexpected. Not a forever. But something real enough to change her. And that… was enough. She turned. Picked up her bag. And walked out. No messages. No last words. Just a quiet ending. Across the building, Arun stood in his kitchen. He didn’t know the exact moment she left. But someh...

Everyone Else Got the Manual - The Choice That Was Always Mine - Part 13 (Final )

 Darkness doesn’t feel empty. It feels… full. Full of something you can’t see. Something you can’t stop. Something that knows you’re still there. I couldn’t move. Not my hands. Not my feet. Not even my breath felt like mine. Inside me— Something was working. Quiet. Precise. Like a system completing its final step. “Erase residual identity.” The words echoed. Not from the book. From within. I tried to think. Tried to hold onto something— Anything— That felt like me . A memory. Laughter with Kavya. Late-night overthinking. Doubts. Fears. Even the confusion. All the things I once hated… They felt precious now. Because they were mine. “No…” I whispered. The word barely existed. The pressure inside me increased. Like something tightening. Wrapping. Erasing. “You don’t need that,” a voice said. Calm. Familiar. I recognized it instantly. It was my voice. But not mine. The other version. The ali...

The Mysuru Cipher - The Forgotten Father - Part 19

 The note remained on the stone floor. Three words. "Ask your father." Aditya stared at it. The chamber around him disappeared. The ancient walls. The hidden vault. The mystery. Everything became distant. Because one question had suddenly become more important than all others. Why had his father hidden this from him? "My father knows about this?" Nobody answered immediately. Professor Acharya looked away. Narasimha lowered his head. Even Devendra remained silent. That silence was enough. Aditya understood. They all knew. Ananya stepped closer. "Aditya..." He looked at her. For the first time since their investigation began, he seemed uncertain. Not as a detective. As a son. "My entire life, I thought my father was just a government employee." He looked at the diary. "Not a guardian." Prakash placed a hand on his shoulder. "Maybe he was protecting you." Aditya gave a faint smile. "Everyone...

My Mother’s Prince - The Loud Ones Carry Quiet Stories Too - Part 25

 The Loud Ones Carry Quiet Stories Too The training days started falling into a rhythm. Morning sessions. Group discussions. Case studies. Canteen food reviews by Raghav. “Today’s dal is emotional,” Raghav announced during lunch. “What does that even mean?” Kavya asked. “It looks like it cried before reaching the plate.” Even Sameer laughed. That evening, after dinner, he walked back to the hostel building. The campus lights were soft. Cool breeze. The kind of evening that makes people think about home. His phone rang. Amma. He answered immediately. “Hello.” Her voice sounded normal. But softer. “Did you eat?” “Yes.” “Food good?” “Yes.” “Room clean?” “Yes.” Three questions. Standard mother protocol. But something felt different. “Amma… everything okay?” A small pause. “Hmm.” That “hmm” carried too many things. “Tell me.” She hesitated. “Electricity problem in the house today.” “What happened?” “Fuse issue.” “Fixed?” “Yes… neighbor helped.” H...

Where the Sunrise Waited - The Secret Plan - Part 5

 The Secret Plan  The hill town slowly began to quiet down as afternoon sunlight softened the busy streets. Tourists wandered through the small market. Children chased each other near the town square. The mountains around the town looked peaceful again, as if nothing mysterious had ever existed there. But inside a small souvenir shop, two people were whispering like conspirators. Kabir and Riya. Dev stood a few feet away pretending not to be involved. “This is a bad idea,” he said without looking at them. Kabir waved his hand dismissively. “Relax. It’s just harmless fun.” Riya nodded enthusiastically. “Exactly. Just a tiny experiment.” Dev sighed. “I already regret being here.” Kabir leaned closer to Riya and lowered his voice. “Step one,” he whispered, “we make them accidentally walk together tomorrow.” Riya grinned. “That’s easy.” “Step two,” Kabir continued, “we disappear for a while.” Dev stared at them. “You two are insane.” Across the market street, ...

My Mother’s Prince – The First Time He Had to Lead - Part 23

The First Time He Had to Lead  The announcement came right after lunch. The trainer walked into the hall holding a stack of papers. “Alright,” he said, looking around the room. “Enough theory. Time for practice.” That sentence made half the room nervous. The other half excited. “You will now be divided into teams,” the trainer continued. “Each team will get a real operational problem.” “You have two days to analyze it and present a solution.” Thirty trainees immediately started whispering. Group projects always create two kinds of people: The ones who want to lead. The ones who hope someone else leads. He belonged to the second category. The trainer started calling names. “Team One…” “Team Two…” Then— “Team Three.” He heard his name. Along with four others. Raghav. A confident-looking woman named Kavya. A serious guy named Arjun. And another quiet participant named Sameer. Five people. One team. They gathered around a table with their case file. ...

Behind the Lit Windows - The Weight of Knowing - Part 8

 Knowing changed everything. Not loudly. Not immediately. But quietly… in the spaces between moments. The next morning, Arun woke up earlier than usual. For a few seconds, everything felt normal. Then it returned. The realization. It’s her. Not just a voice on the screen. Not just words anymore. A person. A window. A presence he could see . He walked to the balcony almost instinctively. The fourth-floor window was still. Curtains half drawn. No movement. But now… it didn’t feel distant. It felt close . Too close. Inside her apartment, Sana sat with a cup of water, staring at her phone. The conversation from last night lingered in her mind. “Do you have a blue curtain?” It had felt like coincidence at first. Now… it felt like something else. Not dangerous. Just… strange. She shook it off. Maybe she was overthinking. She had enough problems already. “Good morning,” Arun typed. He watched the screen. Waited. Across the building, Sana’s phone lit...

Behind the Lit Windows - Learning Each Other Again - Part 14

 Standing in front of each other felt… unfamiliar. Not because they were strangers. But because they weren’t anymore. The hallway was quiet. Too quiet for two people who had said so much… and now didn’t know where to begin. Arun shifted slightly, his hands unsure of where to rest. “So…” he started, then stopped. Sana let out a small breath. A faint smile touched her lips. “Yeah… so .” They both almost laughed. Almost. It was strange. Behind a screen, words had flowed effortlessly. Here— every word felt like it carried weight. “You’re quieter in real life,” Sana said gently. Arun nodded. “And you’re… more real.” The moment lingered. Not awkward. Just… honest. A soft sound echoed from a nearby apartment—utensils, a door closing, life continuing as usual. But for them… time had slowed. Sana leaned lightly against the wall. “I kept thinking… what if this ruins everything?” she admitted. Arun didn’t interrupt. He understood that feeling too well. ...

The Rose Behind the Verdict - The Rose Behind the Verdict - Part 14 - ( Final )

 No thunder rolled now. Morning sunlight entered Bishan House for the first time in years, touching dust, portraits, and faces that had forgotten warmth. Mira stood motionless. “Me?” she whispered. Dev lowered his eyes. “Yes,” said Arindam. “Dev returned not for Leela—but for Mira.” Silence deepened. Leela stared, then suddenly laughed through tears. “I knew it.” Mira turned sharply. “You knew?” Leela nodded. “You never looked at me the way you looked at her.” Dev stepped forward at last, stripped now of charm and performance. “When we were children,” he said softly, “Mira was the only person kind to me in this house. When I left for London , I intended to forget her.” “And failed?” asked Niraj. “Miserably.” Mira’s eyes filled. “Then why help Leela flee?” “Because Harish planned to force her marriage and use the inheritance to pressure you. Saving her was the only way to free you both.” Leela embraced her sister. “All these years,” she said, “everyone hid love b...