The hardest lies are not spoken.
They are lived.
Every smile Nikhil gave now carried a weight no one could see.
Every "I'm fine" cost him a little more than the day before.
And every time Nikhita looked into his eyes, she felt there was a story he wasn't telling.
Monday mornings had always begun with tea at the little stall outside the college.
That morning, Nikhita reached first.
She ordered two cutting chais.
The old tea seller smiled.
"Your friend is late today."
"He never is."
She checked her phone.
No message.
Five minutes passed.
Then ten.
Just as she was about to call him, Nikhil appeared.
He smiled as though nothing had happened.
"I'm sorry."
"You've never been late."
"I overslept."
She looked at him carefully.
His face had grown thinner.
Dark circles rested beneath his eyes.
Even his smile looked tired.
"You really should see a doctor," she said gently.
"I did."
The answer slipped out before he could stop it.
She looked up immediately.
"You did?"
He hesitated.
"It was... just a routine check-up."
"What did the doctor say?"
"That I should eat better."
"Only that?"
"And sleep more."
She smiled with relief.
"See? I told you."
He smiled back.
The truth sat quietly between them, unnoticed by everyone except him.
The medicines had begun.
Every morning.
Every night.
Small white tablets.
One after another.
His mother thought they were vitamins.
His father believed they were for acidity.
Nikhil never corrected them.
Sometimes silence felt kinder than honesty.
His phone reminded him every evening.
7:00 PM – Medication.
He changed the reminder name to "Read Notes."
No one asked why.
Days became difficult.
Walking up the hill left him breathless.
Holding his sketchbook for too long made his fingers ache.
Some afternoons, he felt his heart racing for no reason.
Still, he laughed.
Still, he walked beside Nikhita.
Still, he listened to her talk about novels, poems, and dreams.
Because those moments made him forget he was ill.
If only for a little while.
One evening, they sat in the library preparing for their semester exams.
Nikhita noticed him staring at the same page for several minutes.
"You're not reading."
"I am."
"You haven't turned the page."
He blinked.
"I was thinking."
"About architecture?"
"No."
"What then?"
He smiled softly.
"How strange life is."
She closed her book.
"Tell me."
He looked out through the library window.
"Have you ever wished time would stop?"
She laughed.
"Every exam day."
"I'm serious."
"So am I."
He smiled.
Then quietly added,
"I think I'd like this moment to stay."
She looked around.
"A dusty library?"
"No."
He turned toward her.
"You."
The words escaped before he could hide them.
Neither spoke.
Neither looked away.
The silence between them felt different now.
Gentler.
Warmer.
Almost sacred.
That evening, Nikhita walked home with a smile she couldn't explain.
Her mother noticed immediately.
"What happened today?"
"Nothing."
"Mothers know when 'nothing' happens."
Nikhita laughed.
"We studied."
"Only studied?"
She looked down.
"...and talked."
Her mother smiled knowingly.
"There it is."
"What?"
"The smile."
Meanwhile, Nikhil sat alone beneath the banyan tree.
The pain in his chest returned.
Sharper this time.
He pressed his hand against it and closed his eyes.
After a few moments, it passed.
He took a deep breath.
"I can't let her see this."
He opened his notebook.
Letter Seven
Dear Nikhita,
You smiled today because of one careless sentence.
I should have been afraid.
Instead... I was happy.
I've started measuring my days differently.
Not by mornings or evenings...
...but by how many times you smile.
If life asks me to choose between a few more years without you...
or fewer days beside you...
I already know my answer.
Some people count time.
I'm learning to count moments.
— Nikhil
The semester examinations arrived.
The campus grew quieter.
Late-night study sessions replaced evening walks.
One afternoon, while leaving the examination hall, Nikhita found Nikhil sitting alone on a bench.
His eyes were closed.
"Nikhil?"
No response.
She hurried toward him.
"Nikhil!"
He slowly opened his eyes.
"You scared me."
"I just... felt dizzy."
His forehead was covered with sweat despite the cool weather.
She knelt beside him.
"Enough."
"We're going to the hospital."
He immediately shook his head.
"No."
"Why?"
"I'm okay."
"You fainted."
"I didn't."
"You almost did."
He looked away.
"I just need some water."
She stood silently for a moment.
Then walked to the nearby canteen.
When she returned with a bottle, she noticed something sticking out of his bag.
A prescription.
Before she could read it, Nikhil quickly pushed it back inside.
"It's nothing."
She frowned.
"Why won't you let me help?"
He looked at her for a long time.
Because if you start helping me...
...you'll never stop.
But he couldn't say those words.
Instead, he smiled.
"The doctor already has."
She wasn't convinced.
Not even a little.
That night, Nikhita couldn't sleep.
She replayed every conversation from the past month.
Every delayed reply.
Every forced smile.
Every moment he held his chest when he thought no one was looking.
Something was wrong.
Deeply wrong.
And the person who had always shared every little thought with her...
...had suddenly built a wall she didn't know how to cross.
At the same moment, across the city, Nikhil stood on his terrace looking at the stars.
His phone buzzed.
A message from Nikhita.
"Promise me one thing."
He smiled.
"What?"
After a few seconds, her reply appeared.
"No matter what you're going through... don't go through it alone."
His fingers hovered over the screen.
He wanted to tell her everything.
About the hospital.
About the medicines.
About the fear that kept him awake every night.
Instead, he typed only three words.
"I promise."
Then he deleted them.
After a long pause, he finally sent:
"Good night. See you tomorrow."
He placed the phone in his pocket and looked toward the night sky.
"Forgive me," he whispered.
"I've already broken that promise."
Above him, the stars shone with quiet indifference.
Some truths cannot remain hidden forever.
And somewhere in the darkness, fate had already begun preparing the day when Nikhita would discover the truth—not from Nikhil's lips, but from the pages of a report he desperately hoped she would never see.