Winter never arrives all at once.
It begins quietly.
A leaf falls before the others.
The evening breeze grows a little colder.
The sun sets a little earlier.
And somewhere, unnoticed, warmth begins to disappear.
So did the change in Nikhil.
It started with something so ordinary that no one paid attention.
He became tired.
Not the pleasant tiredness that follows a long day.
A different kind.
The kind that settled deep inside his bones.
He would wake after eight hours of sleep and still feel exhausted before the morning had truly begun.
He blamed the college project.
Then the late nights.
Then the changing weather.
Excuses were easier than questions.
One Monday morning, Nikhita found him sitting alone beneath the banyan tree.
He wasn't writing.
His notebook rested beside him, unopened.
She frowned.
"I've never seen you ignore your notebook."
He looked up and smiled.
"I was giving it a holiday."
She sat beside him.
"Your notebook will complain."
"It already has."
She laughed.
But something about him felt... different.
His smile reached his lips.
Not his eyes.
The days that followed only deepened her unease.
Nikhil no longer raced up the hill.
He walked.
Sometimes he paused halfway to catch his breath.
At the library, he leaned back in his chair more often than before.
During tea breaks, he quietly rubbed his chest whenever he thought no one was looking.
Unfortunately for him...
Nikhita noticed everything.
"Are you alright?"
"I'm fine."
"You don't look fine."
"I didn't know 'fine' had a face."
She crossed her arms.
"Don't joke."
"I'm just tired."
"Then sleep."
"I will."
"You promise?"
"I promise."
He meant it.
He simply didn't know that sleep would no longer be enough.
A week later, the college organized an inter-department sketching competition.
Nikhil had always loved drawing.
His professors insisted he participate.
As the competition began, he sketched with the same patience he reserved for sunsets.
An old temple.
A banyan tree.
A girl sitting beneath it with a book in her hands.
Halfway through the drawing, his pencil slipped from his fingers.
The room blurred.
A sharp pain spread across his chest.
He closed his eyes.
Only for a second.
When he opened them again, everyone else was still drawing.
No one had noticed.
Except his professor.
"Nikhil?"
"I'm alright, sir."
"You've gone pale."
"I skipped breakfast."
The lie came naturally.
It frightened him.
That evening, he reached home unusually early.
His mother looked surprised.
"No sunset today?"
"I'm not feeling very well."
She immediately placed her hand on his forehead.
"No fever."
"I think I'm just tired."
She smiled gently.
"You've been saying that for two weeks."
"I'll be fine."
She nodded.
But mothers carry a strange gift.
They often recognize fear before it learns to speak.
That night, after everyone had gone to bed, Nikhil stood before the bathroom mirror.
The face looking back at him seemed familiar.
Yet somehow older.
He splashed water on his face.
The dizziness returned.
This time stronger.
He gripped the sink until it passed.
When it finally did, he whispered to his reflection,
"You're overthinking."
The mirror offered no reassurance.
The next afternoon, Nikhita arrived at the tea stall carrying a paper bag.
"I brought something."
"What is it?"
She handed him a small box.
Inside lay a simple fountain pen with a deep blue body.
He looked at her in surprise.
"My old pen still works."
"I know."
"Then why?"
She smiled.
"Because every good notebook deserves a good pen."
He turned it carefully in his hand.
"You remembered my favorite color."
"You remember everyone's little things."
She shrugged.
"I learned from the best."
For a moment, he forgot the ache in his chest.
Some people really do become medicine.
That evening, they watched another sunset together.
The wind was colder than usual.
Nikhita wrapped her shawl tighter around her shoulders.
"You know what I like about winter?" she asked.
"What?"
"It makes people sit closer."
He smiled.
"And what if they're already close?"
She looked at him.
"Then winter has nothing left to do."
He laughed softly.
But as they stood to leave, the world tilted again.
His vision darkened.
He stumbled.
"Nikhil!"
Before he could fall, she caught his arm.
He forced a smile.
"I stood up too quickly."
She didn't believe him.
Not for a second.
"You should see a doctor."
"For standing up?"
"For pretending."
He looked away.
"It's nothing."
"Nikhil..."
"I'm okay."
She wanted to argue.
Instead, she quietly nodded.
Sometimes love waits.
Not because it believes the lie.
But because it hopes the truth is kinder.
Two days later, Nikhil finally visited a nearby clinic.
The doctor listened carefully as he described the exhaustion, dizziness, and chest pain.
Routine tests were ordered.
"Probably nothing serious," the doctor said.
"But let's not ignore it."
Nikhil smiled politely.
He wasn't worried.
Young people rarely imagine illness choosing them.
He walked home carrying the test request in his bag.
On the way, he stopped beneath the banyan tree.
The branches were almost still.
A single dry leaf drifted down and landed on his notebook.
He picked it up absentmindedly.
For reasons he couldn't explain, the sight made his heart feel strangely heavy.
That night, he opened the notebook.
But instead of writing a letter to Nikhita...
He stared at a blank page for nearly an hour.
Then, for the first time since they had met, he closed the notebook without writing a single word.
Outside, the cold wind whispered through the trees.
Winter had arrived.
Only one of them knew it.