Meet Rahul Sharma: an aspiring software engineer with a master’s degree, a GPA he guards with his life, a portfolio of 42 rejected visa applications, and zero game. Armed with a mind full of Java syntax and zero practical knowledge of the female species, Rahul's life takes a chaotic turn when his parents back in Patna decide that his "settling down" is long overdue.
Enter the world of high-stakes, hyper-judgmental Indian matchmaking, where every prospective bride comes with a biodata thicker than a university thesis and a family tree that traces back to the Mughal era. Desperate to escape an arranged marriage to a girl who analyzes his stock portfolio on their first date, Rahul hatches a genius, highly flawed plan: he must fake a romance with someone—anyone—to buy himself two years of freedom.
His choice falls on Ananya, a fierce, sarcastic graphic designer who is fighting her own battles against her mother’s relentless wedding artillery. What begins as a strictly contractual, mutually beneficial scam of emotional fraud quickly spirals out of control. Between awkward family WhatsApp groups, disastrous double dates at local dosa joints, accidental road trips, and endless cultural misunderstandings, Rahul and Ananya find themselves navigating a minefield of shared trauma, cheap coffee, and undeniable chemistry.
Will Rahul survive his mother’s daily marriage prophecies? Can a relationship built on pure spreadsheet logic and lies actually turn into something real? Read the full story to find out how this epic comedy of errors ends.
Part 1: The Biodata Apocalypse
It all started on a humid Tuesday evening in Patna, right after I refreshed my LinkedIn profile for the seventh time that day. My phone rang, flashing a picture of my mother looking more terrifying than an IRS auditor. When I answered, I didn't even get to say hello before she fired the weaponized opening line: "Rahul, beta, your cousin Chintu got married, and his wife has an MBA from London. When are you going to stop writing codes and start writing your own destiny?"
I swallowed hard, adjusting my glasses. As a freshly graduated master's student currently grinding away on an H-1B lottery prayer circle in the US, my "destiny" at the moment mostly consisted of debugging Python scripts at 3:00 AM and eating instant ramen straight out of the pot. But to my mother, Sumitra Sharma, a 26-year-old unmarried man was practically a biological hazard to society, one step away from joining a monastery or becoming a stray dog.
"Ma, the visa situation is complicated," I tried reasoning, my voice cracking slightly like a teenager going through puberty for the second time. "And finding a job is a full-time job. I don't have time for-—"
"Arre, leave the visa to God and the job to your resume," she interrupted smoothly, her tone shifting into the cheerful ruthlessness of an Olympic-level matchmaker. "I have already uploaded your biodata onto Shaadi.com and forwarded your kundali to three different pandits. Plus, Sharma Uncle’s friend’s daughter is visiting Chicago next week. She is very traditional, good at making aloo paratha, and her father owns a chain of sweet shops. It’s a match made in heaven!"
"Aloo paratha and sweet shops do not a compatible life partner make, Ma!" I cried out, rubbing my temples where a migraine was already starting to form. "What about hobbies? What about wavelength matching?"
"Wavelength? What is this physics class?" my mother snapped back. "She has a valid US tourist visa and nice hair. Go meet her at the downtown Starbucks on Saturday. Do not wear that faded Nirvana t-shirt with the hole in the armpit. Wear the formal shirt your aunt bought you for Diwali."
And just like that, the call disconnected, leaving me staring at my phone screen in sheer terror. My mother didn't negotiate; she deployed parental guilt with the precision of a drone strike. I looked around my cramped apartment, which smelled faintly of old lentils and existential dread. My single life was officially on death row, and my mother was the executioner with a flower garland.
By Friday night, I realized I needed a contingency plan. Meeting the sweet-shop heiress meant walking straight into a trap of endless questions about my salary, my future career trajectory, and whether I planned to settle down in Patna or America. I wasn't ready for any of that. I needed a shield. I needed an alibi. I needed someone who hated arranged marriage culture just as much as I did.
Part 2: Enter the Graphic Disaster
The rescue operation began entirely by accident at 'Chai & Chill', the local Indian cafe near campus where the Wi-Fi was fast and the samosas tasted like cardboard dipped in nostalgia. I was hunched over my laptop, desperately editing my resume to look more impressive to corporate recruiters, when a flying coffee cup lid bounced off my forehead.
"Ouch! Hey—watch out!" I yelped, dropping my pen as dark roast coffee began to slowly puddle across my pristine notes on machine learning.
"Oh, God, I am so sorry! The table leg is wobbling like a drunk penguin," a sharp, exasperated voice replied. A girl with wild, curly hair tied up in a messy bun and wearing an oversized graphic tee that read 'Too Glam to Give a Damn' rushed over with a handful of napkins. "Did it burn? Please tell me it didn't ruin your life's work. Though looking at your screen, you were just trying to center a div using CSS, which is a tragedy in itself."
I blinked, momentarily stunned not just by the coffee stain on my shirt, but by her audacity. "First of all, it was a Python script, not CSS. Second of all, you just assaulted my brain cells twice in ten seconds."
She rolled her eyes, pulling up a chair uninvited and stealing one of my french fries. "Relax, tech bro. I'm Ananya. Graphic designer, professional caffeine addict, and current fugitive from my own mother's matrimonial committee. Nice to meet you."
As if summoned by the very mention of her name, her phone buzzed loudly on the table. She glanced at the screen, groaned deeply, and flipped the phone face down. "Look at this," she muttered, pushing it toward me. It was a WhatsApp broadcast message featuring a glossy studio portrait of a random guy holding a plaque that said 'Senior Software Architect, Seattle'. The caption from her mother read: 'Very decent boy, only eats vegetarian on Thursdays, settling abroad soon. Think about it.'
I stared at the screen, then looked back at Ananya. A brilliant, albeit slightly unhinged, lightbulb went off in my sleep-deprived brain. The universe doesn't hand you coincidences like this every day; it hands you plot points.
"Wait," I said slowly, leaning across the table. "Your mom is bugging you about marriage? And my mom is currently trying to ambush me with a sweet-shop heiress tomorrow afternoon?"
Ananya narrowed her eyes, instantly catching my drift. A slow, wicked grin spread across her face. "Go on, software boy. I'm listening."
Part 3: The Fake Dating Algorithm
Thirty minutes later, huddled over a greasy table with two empty cups of chai, we had drafted the blueprint of what we officially named Project Counter-Strike: Matrimony Edition. The rules of engagement were simple, logical, and entirely devoid of messy human emotions—or so we foolishly believed.
"Rule number one," Ananya whispered, tapping her pen on my notebook like a strict corporate CEO presenting a quarterly review. "We are not actually dating. This is a business partnership. We provide each other with photographic evidence of our 'happy relationship' so our respective mothers stop sending us biodatas of men who look like tax inspectors and women who look like strict school principals."
"Agreed," I nodded, typing the terms into a new Google Doc. "Rule number two: No feelings. We keep it strictly platonic, sarcastic, and transactional. Once our visa statuses and family pressures stabilize in six months, we stage a dramatic, mutual breakup due to 'creative differences' and go our separate ways."
"Creative differences? Wow, listen to you talking like a startup founder breaking up with a co-founder," Ananya laughed, shaking her head. "I like it. Clean, bloodless, and efficient. But wait, we need proof. Our moms won't buy it just because we say so. We need documentation."
That was how we found ourselves executing phase one of our master plan the very next day. Instead of sitting across from the sweet-shop heiress at Starbucks, I was standing outside a local botanical garden with Ananya, staging our first official couple selfie.
"Smile, you dork! Look like you're deeply in love, not like you're posing for a mugshot," Ananya hissed under her breath as she looped her arm tightly through mine, pulling me close so her curls brushed against my cheek.
"I am smiling! My facial muscles are operating at maximum capacity," I hissed back, flashing a tight, deer-in-headlights grin while clicking the shutter button.
Within five minutes, the photo was successfully uploaded to Instagram with a cheesy caption written by Ananya ('Found my favorite bug in the system 💻❤️') and immediately forwarded to our respective family WhatsApp groups. The reactions were instantaneous. My phone started vibrating like an epileptic washing machine with frantic voice notes from my mother demanding to know who "this modern girl with unruly hair" was.
Part 4: Family WhatsApp Warfare
By Wednesday of the following week, our fake relationship had escalated from a harmless prank into a full-scale geopolitical crisis across three different time zones. My family group chat, brilliantly titled 'Sharma Parivar Pride', was buzzing with continuous conspiracy theories about my sudden lifestyle change.
My uncle sent a blurry screenshot of Ananya’s public Instagram profile, zooming in suspiciously on a vintage denim jacket she was wearing. 'Is she from a good family? Why is she wearing ripped clothes? In our days, girls wore proper salwar kameez,' he typed in all caps, adding three facepalm emojis for dramatic effect.
Meanwhile, my mother called me via video link while I was sitting in the campus library trying to study database management. I answered with a sinking feeling in my stomach, bracing myself for the interrogation.
"Rahul! Who is this Ananya?" my mother demanded without even a preliminary 'hello', her face filling the entire phone screen in terrifying high-definition. "Your aunt says her father works in advertising. Advertising people have no stability! They are selling dreams! Why are you not focusing on your algorithms?"
"Ma, calm down. She’s very nice, she’s completing her master's in fine arts, and she loves... um... traditional Indian values," I lied smoothly, desperately trying to remember if Ananya even knew how to fold a blanket properly.
"Bring her home for dinner this weekend," my mother commanded with the finality of a Supreme Court verdict. "I want to test if she knows how to make round rotis. If the roti is shaped like the map of Australia, she is not getting my blessings!"
I immediately messaged Ananya the terrifying update: Emergency protocol activated. My mother wants round rotis this Saturday. Bring your A-game and lots of acting skills.
Ananya’s reply came back two minutes later with a laughing emoji: Challenge accepted, tech bro. But if your mom asks about my cooking skills, I’m telling her I’m a high-ranking culinary terrorist.
Part 5: The Great Roti Disaster of 2026
Saturday evening arrived with the ominous atmosphere of a medieval execution. Ananya and I stood outside my apartment building, doing last-minute breathing exercises. She was wearing a gorgeous yellow kurti that she insisted would distract my mother from inspecting her academic transcripts, while I wore my lucky button-down shirt.
"Remember the backstory," I whispered nervously as we climbed the stairs. "You’re an aspiring UI/UX designer, you love classical music—which you’ve only heard on Spotify once—and you think my coding skills are genuinely impressive."
"Right, and you’re a brilliant, hard-working software engineer who treats me like a queen and definitely doesn't spend four hours a day arguing about tech news on Reddit," Ananya shot back with a cheeky grin. "Got it."
When the door opened, my mother greeted us with a smile that could freeze liquid nitrogen. She scanned Ananya from head to toe, her eyes lingering for a split second on Ananya’s silver jhumkas before she pulled her into a polite, stiff hug.
Dinner started relatively peacefully. My mother served dal, paneer, and a stack of steaming hot wheat rotis. Everything was going according to plan until my mother, with a deceptively sweet smile, slid a rolling pin and a ball of dough across the kitchen counter toward Ananya.
"Beta, why don't you show me your roti-making skills? Every good daughter-in-law in our family must know how to make perfectly round rotis," my mother said innocently.
Ananya froze, the rolling pin looking in her hands like a weapon she didn't have a license to carry. I held my breath, realizing the entire charade was about to collapse right there on the kitchen tiles. Without missing a beat, Ananya picked up the dough, slammed it onto the board, and rolled it out with fierce determination.
When she held it up for inspection, the room went dead silent. The roti wasn't just shaped like the map of Australia; it looked uncannily like the continent of Antarctica after a major tectonic shift—lumpy, elongated, and full of accidental holes.
Part 6: Accidental Road Trips and Awkward Truths
Miraculously, we survived the dinner disaster—mostly because I managed to distract my mother by dramatically coughing and pretending my seasonal allergies were acting up from the spice levels. But the stress of maintaining our elaborate web of lies left us both emotionally drained and desperate to escape campus life for a weekend.
"I need oxygen, non-academic humans, and zero Wi-Fi," Ananya announced on a rainy Monday morning as we sat in our usual spot at Chai & Chill. "Let’s take a road trip. Just for two days. Up north toward the mountains where cell service dies and nobody can ask us about our marital status."
"A road trip? With you? In my secondhand sedan that makes a weird clicking noise whenever I turn left?" I raised an eyebrow, though my heart did a strange, unnecessary little flip. "What about our assignments?"
"Assignments can wait, Rahul. Your sanity cannot," she insisted, flashing a smile that was entirely too bright to ignore.
Three hours later, we were cruising down the interstate with the windows rolled down, blaring 90s Bollywood hits that neither of us fully knew the words to. For the first time since we started our fake relationship, the conversation drifted away from our scheming mothers, visa panic, and career anxiety.
We talked about our childhoods—how she used to sneak out of her house to eat roadside pani puri against her strict father’s wishes, and how I used to spend hours dismantling old remote-control cars just to see how the circuit boards worked.
"You know, for a rigid, spreadsheet-obsessed software guy, you’re not entirely boring," Ananya teased softly as she changed the radio station to a softer acoustic playlist.
"And for a chaotic graphic designer who destroys kitchen utensils, you’re surprisingly easy to talk to," I replied, keeping my eyes fixed on the highway, praying she couldn't hear the sudden, chaotic hammering of my heartbeat against my ribs.
Part 7: The Midnight Breakdown
The road trip took an unexpected turn when a sudden mountain thunderstorm rolled in, turning the scenic highway into a slippery obstacle course. To make matters worse, my car’s trusty old engine decided right then and there to give up its ghost with a dramatic hiss of steam under the hood.
"Great. Just great," I muttered, slamming my hands against the steering wheel as rain lashed violently against the windshield. "Stranded in the middle of nowhere with a dead battery and zero bars of cellular service. Software engineering school didn't teach me how to fix a blown radiator gasket."
Ananya didn't panic. Instead, she laughed—a bright, ringing sound that cut right through the storm's noise. She popped open her backpack, pulled out a flashlight and a pack of soggy potato chips, and offered me one. "Relax, tech bro. Every good movie has a stranded-in-the-woods scene. This is where the plot thickens."
We huddled together in the front seat as the temperature dropped outside, sharing a single woolen blanket we found in the trunk. The initial awkwardness of physical closeness quickly melted away into quiet contemplation as the rain tapped a steady rhythm on the roof.
"Why do we care so much, Rahul?" Ananya asked quietly, her voice losing its usual sarcastic edge as she stared out at the foggy window. "Why do we let our parents dictate every milestone of our lives? A degree, a job, a wedding, a house in the suburbs. Is this really what we want, or are we just following a script written by someone else?"
I looked over at her in the dim dashboard light, realizing how heavy the invisible weight she carried actually was. Beneath her fierce, artistic exterior, she was just as terrified of disappointing her family as I was of failing mine.
"I don't know," I answered honestly, my voice barely above a whisper. "For the longest time, I thought if I just checked all the right boxes—good grades, stable job, approved partner—happiness would automatically follow as a default setting. But sitting here in a broken-down car with a girl who makes terrible rotis... I'm starting to think happiness isn't a checklist item."
Ananya turned her head to look at me, her dark eyes catching the faint glow of the dashboard. For a long, breathless moment, neither of us spoke. The space between us suddenly felt dangerously small, charged with something far more real and terrifying than any fake dating contract we had ever signed.
Part 8: The Plot Thickens at the Coffee Shop
By the time a local tow truck finally rescued us the next morning, things between us had fundamentally shifted. The playful banter remained, but underneath it lay a new, unspoken tension—a realization that our cute little business partnership was dangerously close to crossing the line into genuine emotional territory.
Back on campus, however, the real world wasted no time crashing back into our lives. As soon as I walked into Chai & Chill on Monday afternoon, my phone blew up with a notification from a family group chat that made my stomach drop straight down to my shoes. My mother had somehow discovered our road trip photos—thanks to a public geotag—and had officially booked a surprise flight to the US.
Part 9: The Ultimate Showdown
"She’s landing at O'Hare airport in forty-eight hours!" I panicked, pacing back and forth across Ananya’s apartment floor like a caged tiger while she calmly sipped her iced matcha latte. "My mother! In person! With her traditional radar fully activated and zero patience for our fake relationship timeline!"
"Rahul, stop hyperventilating before you pass out and I have to perform emergency CPR, which I assure you I am not qualified for," Ananya said, rolling her eyes as she tossed a sketchpad onto the couch. "If your mother is coming, we just need to execute the final phase of our plan: the grand, theatrical breakup."
I stopped pacing and stared at her, a cold knot tightening in my chest. "The breakup? But... what about your mom? If we break up now, your mother will immediately restart the wedding brochure pipeline with the software architect from Seattle!"
Ananya’s smile faltered for just a fraction of a second, her gaze dropping to her coffee cup. "Well... we always knew this was temporary, right? A contract with an expiration date. We proved our point. We survived the family pressure for a few months."
The words felt remarkably hollow, tasting like ash in my mouth. For months, I had dreamed of the day our fake relationship would end so I could go back to my quiet, predictable single life. But looking at Ananya now—her messy hair, her stubborn jaw, the way her eyes crinkled when she laughed at my terrible jokes—the thought of going back to life before she threw a coffee lid at my head felt completely unbearable.
"Right," I managed to choke out, forcing a stiff, awkward nod. "A business contract. Clean and efficient. No feelings attached."
The next evening, my mother arrived at my apartment carrying three suitcases stuffed with homemade pickles, winter sweaters, and an expression that clearly signaled she was ready to interrogate both of us. Ananya arrived shortly after, looking sharp, composed, and ready to deliver the final performance of her life.
"Sumitra-ji, it’s wonderful to finally meet you in person," Ananya said smoothly, stepping into the living room with a polite, professional smile.
My mother crossed her arms, looking her up and down. "Let's cut to the chase, beta. Rahul tells me you two are very serious. But I want to know: do you see a long-term future here, or is this just another modern American time-pass?"
Part 10: The Final Algorithm of Love
The living room grew so quiet you could hear the refrigerator humming in the kitchen. This was the moment we had rehearsed—the scripted cue for Ananya to deliver our pre-planned speech about "creative differences" and "conflicting career goals" to satisfy our mothers and dissolve the contract once and for all.
Ananya took a deep breath, her eyes locking onto mine across the coffee table. For a second, the witty, sarcastic designer vanished, replaced by someone looking remarkably vulnerable.
"Sumitra-ji," Ananya began, her voice steady but soft. "To be completely honest with you... our entire relationship started as a complete lie. A fake romance engineered purely to get our parents off our backs."
My mother’s jaw dropped so fast I thought it might hit the floor. I froze in horror, realizing Ananya was going off-script in the most catastrophic way possible.
"Ananya, what are you doing?" I whispered loudly, half-rising from the couch.
"Telling the truth, tech bro," she replied without breaking eye contact with my mother, who was now looking between us like she was watching a tennis match played by lunatics. "We planned to fake it for six months, break up due to 'creative differences', and walk away like sensible adults."
My mother opened her mouth to speak, likely preparing a lecture that would involve ancestral curses, but Ananya held up a hand, stepping closer to me.
"The only problem with our foolproof algorithm," Ananya continued, a small, genuine smile breaking through her serious expression, "is that somewhere between the bad rotis, the broken-down car in the rain, and the endless cups of terrible campus chai... we accidentally stopped pretending."
She turned to look directly at me, her eyes shining with a mix of mischief and quiet affection. "And as it turns out, my mother’s matchmaking app doesn't have an option for a guy who fixes my broken Wi-Fi router, laughs at my terrible art jokes, and makes me want to stay in one place instead of running away."
My mother stared at us in stunned silence for three whole seconds before a slow, knowing smile crept across her face. She adjusted her shawl, looked at me, and said...
"Beta, if you two spent half as much time fixing each other's terrible cooking as you do writing fake algorithms, you'd already have a gold medal in marriage."
My mother walked over, patted Ananya gently on the cheek, and then turned to me with a triumphant grin. "And as for you, Rahul—stop looking like a deer caught in headlights. The wedding venue in Patna is already booked for December."