Love does not always begin with the words "I love you."
Sometimes...
It begins with the courage to ask,
"Why are you hurting alone?"
The distance between them was becoming impossible to ignore.
Nikhil still met her every day.
He still smiled.
He still listened to every story she told.
But he no longer laughed the way he once did.
His sunsets had become quieter.
His notebook remained closed more often than open.
And the sparkle in his eyes...
...seemed to disappear a little more with each passing day.
Nikhita could no longer pretend not to notice.
On Friday evening, after their last class ended, she stood outside the college gate waiting for him.
When Nikhil walked toward the bus stop, she blocked his path.
"We're going somewhere."
He smiled.
"Where?"
"You'll see."
"I have to get home."
"No."
"You have to answer me."
He looked at her for a long moment.
Then quietly nodded.
Without another word, they walked toward the old hill.
Neither spoke during the climb.
The silence between them felt heavier than the bags on their shoulders.
The banyan tree stood exactly as it always had.
Its branches swayed gently in the evening breeze.
The fields below glowed golden beneath the setting sun.
It was the place where their friendship had grown.
Where laughter had echoed.
Where dreams had been shared.
Today...
It waited to hear the truth.
Nikhita placed her bag on the ground and turned to face him.
"Look at me."
He did.
"What happened to you?"
"Nothing."
"Don't."
"I'm serious."
"So am I."
Her voice trembled.
"You've stopped smiling."
"I smile."
"You pretend."
He lowered his eyes.
She stepped closer.
"You think I don't notice?"
"When you're tired."
"When your hands shake."
"When you stop halfway while climbing this hill."
"When you stare at the sunset without seeing it."
Her eyes filled with tears.
"What are you hiding from me?"
Nikhil looked toward the horizon.
The easiest answer was still a lie.
"I'm just stressed."
She shook her head.
"No."
"I know you."
"You don't."
The words escaped more sharply than he intended.
Silence.
Pain flickered across her face.
"Maybe I don't."
She took a step back.
"Because the Nikhil I know never shuts me out."
For a long time...
Neither of them spoke.
The wind carried dry leaves across the ground.
Somewhere below, a temple bell echoed through the evening.
Finally, Nikhil whispered,
"I'm afraid."
She looked at him.
He had never admitted fear before.
"Of what?"
He smiled sadly.
"If I tell you..."
"...everything will change."
She moved closer again.
"What if I don't want anything to change?"
He closed his eyes.
Because he wanted exactly that.
More than anything.
"Nikhil..."
She reached for his hand.
It was colder than usual.
"You once told me that no conversation should end with anger."
He nodded.
"So don't let this one end with silence."
He looked into her eyes.
The same eyes that had smiled at him in the rain.
The same eyes that searched for him every morning at the tea stall.
The same eyes he had written about in countless letters.
He knew he should tell her the truth.
About the hospital.
About the medicines.
About the uncertain future.
But another truth escaped first.
One he had hidden even longer.
"I love you."
The words were almost a whisper.
Yet they echoed louder than anything either of them had ever heard.
The breeze seemed to stop.
Even the birds grew silent.
Nikhita stared at him.
Not in surprise.
In relief.
A tear slipped down her cheek.
"I was wondering..."
"...how much longer you'd make me wait."
He blinked.
"You knew?"
She laughed through her tears.
"Nikhil..."
"I fell in love with the boy who chased a piece of paper through the rain."
"You just took longer to realize it."
He couldn't speak.
Years of quiet thoughts...
Hundreds of unwritten conversations...
Every unsent letter...
Suddenly felt too small.
She stepped closer until only a heartbeat separated them.
"I love you too."
Simple words.
No poetry.
No grand speeches.
Yet they carried more meaning than every letter Nikhil had ever written.
For a long time, they stood beneath the banyan tree, saying nothing.
Some confessions need silence to be understood.
The sun slowly disappeared beyond the hills.
The first evening star appeared above them.
Nikhita smiled.
"So..."
"So?"
"Now what?"
He laughed softly.
"I hadn't planned this far."
She nudged his shoulder.
"You always plan everything."
"Not this."
"Why?"
"Because I was never sure you'd say yes."
She smiled.
"I've been saying yes in my heart for months."
She reached into her bag.
"I have something."
She handed him the little blue notebook.
"The one you gave me?"
She nodded.
"I've been writing in it."
He looked surprised.
"May I read it?"
"Not today."
"When?"
"When you stop hiding things from me."
His smile faded for just a moment.
The illness returned to his thoughts.
The reports.
The medicines.
The doctor's warning.
He looked at the notebook in his hands.
One truth had finally been spoken.
The other remained buried.
As they began walking down the hill, Nikhita suddenly stopped.
"Promise me something."
"What?"
"No more secrets."
His footsteps froze.
The evening breeze grew colder.
He wanted to tell her.
Right there.
Right then.
Instead...
He gently squeezed her hand.
"I promise."
For the second time...
He lied to the girl he loved.
That night, Nikhil opened his notebook.
For the first time in weeks...
He smiled while writing.
Letter Eight
Dear Nikhita,
Today, the world gave me something I never dared ask for.
You.
You said the words I had dreamed of hearing since the day we met in the rain.
For a few beautiful hours, I forgot hospitals, medicines, fear... everything.
I almost believed life would let us stay this happy forever.
Then I remembered the promise I made beneath the banyan tree.
You asked for no more secrets.
And I answered with another one.
Forgive me.
I am not hiding the truth because I don't trust you.
I am hiding it because I love you more than I know how to lose you.
— Yours, always,
Nikhil
He closed the notebook and looked out of his window.
The moon hung quietly above the sleeping city.
Somewhere, under the same moon, Nikhita lay awake smiling.
She replayed his confession over and over.
She had no idea that the happiest day of her life would also become the memory that hurt the most.
Because love had finally found its voice.
But fate...
...had already begun writing its farewell.