Every family has one festival that feels less like a celebration and more like a homecoming.
For Nikhil and Nikhita, it was Deepavali.
Not because of the fireworks.
Not because of the sweets.
But because, for a few precious days, the world slowed down enough for everyone to remember what truly mattered.
The week before Deepavali, the college buzzed with excitement.
Students discussed vacation plans.
Some rushed to finish assignments.
Others planned outings with friends.
Nikhita was carefully arranging tiny clay diyas for the college decoration when she heard footsteps behind her.
"You've lit only one side," Nikhil said.
She looked up.
"I'm saving the other side."
"For whom?"
She smiled.
"For someone who notices these things."
Without another word, he picked up a diya and placed it beside hers.
Soon they were decorating the entire entrance together.
One lamp.
Then another.
And another.
A professor walking past smiled.
"You two work well together."
Neither replied.
Some compliments are too dangerous to acknowledge.
The evening before the holidays, the college organized a small cultural celebration.
There was music, rangoli competitions, traditional attire, and laughter echoing through every corridor.
Nikhita arrived wearing a simple cream-colored salwar with delicate maroon embroidery.
Her hair fell loosely over one shoulder, adorned with fresh jasmine flowers.
Nikhil stood frozen for a moment.
"You look..."
She tilted her head.
"...like someone who forgot how to finish a sentence."
He laughed nervously.
"I was going to say beautiful."
She looked down, hiding the blush that warmed her cheeks.
"Thank you."
"And you," she said, looking at his navy-blue kurta, "don't look like someone who spends every evening sitting under trees."
"I cleaned up well?"
"You surprised me."
"I'm trying to make a good impression."
"You already did."
The words escaped before she could stop them.
Neither mentioned them again.
As dusk settled, hundreds of diyas illuminated the campus.
The warm glow reflected in every smiling face.
Students danced.
Teachers laughed.
Children from the nearby neighborhood ran between rows of lamps.
For one evening, the entire college felt like a family.
Nikhita found Nikhil standing quietly near the rangoli.
"Why aren't you joining the dance?"
"I'm terrible."
"You've never tried."
"I value public dignity."
She laughed.
"Come on."
Before he could protest, she pulled him gently toward the crowd.
His steps were clumsy.
His rhythm nonexistent.
But every mistake made her laugh harder.
Soon he stopped worrying about looking foolish.
Because making her smile suddenly seemed more important than looking graceful.
Later that evening, they escaped the noise and walked toward the hill.
The old banyan tree stood wrapped in tiny fairy lights placed there by local children.
The sky shimmered with fireworks bursting in brilliant reds, golds, and silvers.
Neither spoke.
Some celebrations needed no words.
After a long silence, Nikhita said softly,
"When I was little, I thought every firework carried someone's wish."
"And now?"
"I think wishes are quieter."
She looked at him.
"They're the people we meet."
Nikhil smiled.
"I've never been anyone's wish."
She turned fully toward him.
"Maybe you already are."
The fireworks above drowned the silence that followed.
But neither forgot that moment.
On Deepavali morning, Nikhil's family visited Nikhita's home carrying a box of homemade sweets.
It was the first time their families met.
His mother instantly liked Nikhita.
Her father appreciated Nikhil's humility.
Their mothers exchanged recipes.
Their fathers discussed books, education, and old Kannada films.
Watching them together felt strangely natural.
As though this meeting had been waiting to happen long before either family knew it.
When everyone gathered for a photograph, Nikhil stood at one end.
Nikhita quietly moved beside him.
No one noticed.
Except Nikhil.
The camera clicked.
A single photograph.
Two shy smiles.
Neither knew it would one day become the picture she would hold closest to her heart.
That evening, children filled the streets with sparklers.
Nikhita held one in her hand, drawing circles of light in the darkness.
"Here," she said, handing another to Nikhil.
"I've never liked crackers."
"Neither have I."
"Then why this?"
She smiled.
"Because sparklers don't explode."
"They simply shine."
He lit the sparkler.
Golden light danced between them.
For a brief moment, the world disappeared.
There was no crowd.
No noise.
Only two young hearts standing beneath a sky full of stars.
As the sparkler slowly burned out, Nikhita whispered,
"What do you think happiness looks like?"
Nikhil didn't answer immediately.
He watched the final golden sparks disappear into the night.
Then he looked at her.
"I think..."
"...it looks exactly like this."
She lowered her eyes.
A smile appeared that words could never describe.
It wasn't excitement.
It wasn't surprise.
It was recognition.
The quiet realization that sometimes, without even noticing, another person becomes your favorite place in the world.
Late that night, after everyone had gone to sleep, Nikhil opened his notebook.
He turned to a fresh page.
For a long time, he simply looked at the photograph they had taken together earlier that day.
Then he began writing.
Letter Five
Dear Nikhita,
Today the world celebrated the Festival of Lights.
But no lamp, no firework, no star in the sky shone brighter than the smile you wore while holding that little sparkler.
People say festivals come once a year.
I disagree.
You have unknowingly brought Deepavali into my life every day since we met.
If I never gather the courage to tell you how deeply I love you, I hope life finds another way to show you.
Until then...
I'll keep writing.
— Nikhil
He carefully closed the notebook.
Outside his window, the last firework faded into the night sky.
The silence that followed felt peaceful.
Yet somewhere deep inside his chest, there was a faint, unfamiliar tightness.
It disappeared almost as quickly as it came.
He ignored it.
After all...
How could a night so full of light possibly be the beginning of approaching darkness?