Life has a curious way of bringing two people together.
The first meeting is often called fate.
The second is usually dismissed as coincidence.
But somewhere between the third and the fourth, coincidence quietly begins to resemble destiny.
It had been four days since the evening at the bus stop.
Four ordinary days.
Yet neither Nikhil nor Nikhita had managed to forget the other.
Nikhil still smiled whenever he opened his notebook and saw the rain-stained page that had escaped into the wind. Every crease on that paper reminded him of the girl who had laughed instead of apologizing for touching his words.
Nikhita, on the other hand, found herself glancing toward the bus stop every evening before boarding her bus. She told herself it was only habit.
Her heart knew better.
Thursday afternoons were unusually quiet in the college library.
Most students preferred the canteen or the sports ground.
The library belonged to those who enjoyed silence.
Nikhita loved Thursdays.
She wandered slowly through the long rows of bookshelves, gently running her fingers across faded book spines as though greeting old friends.
As she reached for a worn copy of The Old Man and the Sea, another hand reached for the very same book.
She smiled before looking up.
"You again."
Nikhil chuckled.
"I promise I don't follow people."
"I should hope not."
They both laughed.
For a brief moment, the library no longer felt silent.
"Looks like this book can't decide between us," Nikhita said.
Nikhil glanced at the shelf.
"There are two copies."
She turned.
There was.
They exchanged an embarrassed smile.
"So much for destiny," she whispered.
"Or maybe destiny just wanted an excuse for us to talk."
She looked at him for a second longer than she intended.
Then she looked away.
They left the library together.
Not because either of them suggested it.
Their footsteps simply chose the same direction.
The afternoon sun filtered through the old trees that lined the campus walkway.
Students hurried past them.
Some laughed loudly.
Some argued.
Some stared at their phones.
Neither Nikhil nor Nikhita felt the need to fill every silence with words.
It was strange.
Most conversations between strangers were awkward.
Theirs felt... restful.
"So," Nikhita asked, "does your notebook still try to escape?"
"It behaved all week."
"Good."
"I threatened to replace it."
She laughed.
"You wouldn't."
"I couldn't."
"I knew it."
Near the college gate stood a tiny tea stall that had somehow survived decades of changing buildings, changing students, and changing owners.
Its signboard had faded.
Its benches were uneven.
Its tea was unforgettable.
"Tea?" Nikhil asked.
Nikhita hesitated.
"My mother says never trust boys who invite girls for tea."
"What does she say about coffee?"
"She says they're more expensive."
He laughed so loudly that even the old tea seller smiled.
"Two cutting chais," Nikhil said.
The old man nodded knowingly.
Young friendships always began with tea.
The rain from earlier had left the air cool.
Steam rose gently from the tiny glasses.
Nikhita wrapped both hands around hers.
"I like this weather," she said.
"So do I."
"I thought you preferred sunsets."
"I do."
"And rain?"
"I think sunsets look better after rain."
She looked toward the cloudy sky.
"I never thought of that."
"And you?"
"I like rain because it makes everyone slow down."
Nikhil nodded.
"Maybe that's why people notice each other more."
Neither realized they were speaking about themselves.
Days became weeks.
Weeks became routines.
Without discussing it, they began sharing pieces of their lives.
They studied together before exams.
They exchanged novels.
Nikhita introduced Nikhil to poetry.
Nikhil showed her the hill where he watched sunsets.
She teased him for carrying too many pens.
He teased her for using dried flowers as bookmarks.
She always ordered tea without sugar.
He always forgot and added sugar before remembering it wasn't for him.
Tiny mistakes became tiny memories.
Tiny memories became reasons to smile.
Neither noticed the change.
Love rarely announces its arrival.
It quietly hides inside ordinary moments until one day they become impossible to imagine without.
One evening, they sat beneath the old banyan tree overlooking the fields.
The sun dipped slowly beyond the horizon.
The sky glowed with shades of gold and crimson.
"It really is beautiful," Nikhita whispered.
Nikhil smiled.
"I told you."
"No."
She shook her head gently.
"You didn't."
He looked at her.
"You only brought me here."
For the first time in years, Nikhil realized sunsets had become even more beautiful.
Not because the sky had changed.
Because he was no longer watching them alone.
As darkness settled over the fields, neither hurried to leave.
Sometimes, the most meaningful conversations happen without a single word.
And somewhere, quietly tucked inside Nikhil's notebook, another blank page waited patiently.
It had no idea that it would soon become the beginning of the greatest love story either of them would ever live.